UK - Lewes - East Sussex Record Office
Late modern period
Maritime and Trade links
Artist's impression of harbour works “under construction” at Newhaven in 1878 to facilitate the ferry service to Dieppe.
Notable are the large wet dock to the east of the river, and the docks in the outer harbour. Newhaven was established as a port when the River Ouse was re-channelled through the shingle bank at Meeching, which created the “New Haven” around 1539. An important reason for maintaining a harbour at Newhaven around 1800 was a strategic one - the need for a naval base or sheltered haven locally to counter French hostile action. As the 19th century progressed, however, it was the French ferry link which influenced harbour development.