The Compagnie de Rouen had to be able to produce carriages and locomotives in order to be able to run the line. The backers of the proposed railway line between Paris and Rouen again turned to England, which already supplied many of the locomotives used in France. The Compagnie de Rouen decided to award the contract to the English firm of Alcard and Buddicum. Instead of importing equipment, the company decided to bring over almost four hundred engineers, managers and technicians, and set up at the place des Chartreux in Petit-Quevilly in August 1841. This location near the port of Rouen was ideal for taking deliveries of raw materials such as coal and some steel products. The first “Buddicum” carriages and locomotives were delivered in 1842. In 1845 the workshops were moved to Sotteville, closer to the railway tracks.
View 1 : Budiccom locomotive. Postcard. ADSM, 2 Fi Sotteville-lès-Rouen 18.
View 2 : Engraving Rouen, Le Havre and Dieppe railway, Sotteville station, workshops of Messrs. Buddicom & Co. Etching by A. Maugendre, undated. ADSM, 1 Fi 454.