As soon as he entered Rouen, Henry the Fifth started work on a new fortress where the Seine meets the western part of the city walls (this is now the boulevard des Belges). Known later on as the “Vieux Palais”, it was destroyed during the Revolution. The king of England also reinforced the castle to the north of the town built by Philippe Auguste after the defeat of 1204. This English engraving shows us the Vieux Palais on the left as it appeared in the eighteenth century (a map appears at the bottom), with the keep of Philippe-Auguste’s castle, now known as Joan of Arc’s Tower, on the right. She was held in one of the towers of this castle during her trial.
late 18 c.
34,3 x 46,1
France - Rouen - Archives départementales de Seine-Maritime
1 Fi 599
Politics and Military links