Knowles et Cie company was created in 1908 at Malaunay. The weaving workshops were built in 1909 by Auguste Cartier. William Knowles was an English industrialist, born in Ashton in 1854. The created company is a French limited partnership by shares. Indeed, among the various subscribers include both English as Mr. Mills but also local industrialists from Rouen as Mr. Badin. In 1914, there were 744 power looms and, in 1931, weaving employed 225 people. The company closed its doors in 1932.
18 x 12.5
France - Rouen - Archives départementales de Seine-Maritime
2 Fi Malaunay 5
Early modern period
Industries and Railways
Malaunay, exit of workers in the establishment Knowles & Co., 20th century (B&W Photography)