Many British citizens started to explore their Anglo-Norman roots from the second half of the 18th century onwards. Normandy was a popular destination for artists: painters like Turner, photographers like Tenison, but also engravers who reproduced their creations. Published in 1820 and 1825, the Architectural Antiquities of Normandy contains 97 engravings produced by John Sell Cotman. The very detailed descriptions were written by the antiques collector Dawson Turner.
The French edition, les Antiquités monumentales de la Normandie, published in 1881 by A. Lévy, diplays 100 plates drawn and engraved by John Cotman, with historical and descriptive notes by Paul Louisy.
The introduction is written by Charles de Beaurepaire, senior archivist in charge of the department of Seine-Inférieure during 50 years.
View 1 : Rouen Cathedral is particularly well presented, with two double-page views showing the western side and the south portal. The number of buildings that were then attached to the cathedral is remarkable.
View 2 : St Ouen Abbey, Rouen
View 3 : Croix de Pierre Fountain, Rouen
View 4 : Hotel of Bourgtheroulde, Rouen
View 5 : St Paul Church, Rouen
View 6 : St Gervais Church, Rouen - crypt
View 7 : St Julien's hospital Chapel, Rouen
View 8 : Dieppe Castle
View 9 : St Jacques Church, Dieppe - front
View 10 : Abbey of the Holy Trinity Church, Caen
View 11 : Saint-Etienne Church, Caen
View 12 : Saint-Michel of Vaucelles Church, Caen
View 13 : Saint-Nicolas Church, Caen
View 14 : Abbey of Jumieges Church
View 15 : Saint-Pierre Church, Lisieux
View 16 : Louviers Church
View 17 : Montivilliers Abbey
View 18 : Saint-George of Boscherville Abbey
View 19 : Abbey of Saint-Sauveur Le Vicomte Church
View 20 : Castle of Saint-Sauveur Le Vicomte
View 21 : Saint-Hildebert Church, Gournay
View 22 : Notre-Dame Church, Seez
View 23 : Cerisy Church
View 24 : Notre-Dame Church, Coutances
View 25 : Chateau-Gaillard
View 26 : Arques Castle
View 27 : Falaise Castle
View 28 : Tancarville Castle
View 29 : Fontaine-Henri Castle
View 30 : Mont-Saint-Michel