Compound steam engine built by M. E. Windsor (English designer/engineer based in Rouen), plate taken from the “Revue industrielle” produced during the 1889 World Fair
The plate shows a two-cylinder steam engine built by E. W. Windsor. The construction of these machines made the name of the company, and of Rouen engineering. The Windsor machine-building workshops had been founded in 1832 by Mr. Hall, under the company name of Hall, Powell and Scott, after three engineers who had previously worked for the Hall company of Dartford in England. They were bought up by Mr. Windsor who ran them before handing over to his son. The firm made steam engines, movement transmission device, lifting equipment for municipal water departments, and hydraulic engines which were exported and offered a competitive challenge to English and German industry because of their superior quality.
27 x 37 cm
Archives départementales de Seine – Maritime
Late Modern Period
Industries & Railways
Rouen – Archives Départementales