The text was written between 1350 and 1370 by an anonymous Norman author, probably from Rouen. This story is based on the Roman de Rou of Wace (1160-1174), as well as on the Chronicle of Normandy of the 13th century. The Chronicle focuses on Norman ducal and royal English characters. It begins in 911 with Rollo, the Viking chief, whom the king of France Charles III the Simple donated the County Rouen in the Treaty of Saint -Clair sur Epte. Depending on the version, the story ends either in 1204, with the annexation of Normandy to the crown of France, or at the latest in 1217 with the accession to the English crown of Henry III , son of John Lackland.
11th century is deeply marked by the appearance of illumination in Norman manuscripts. This is mainly due to the monastic revival and the need for religious communities to build a library. England is so famous for its art schools and its signature style. Several workshops are experiencing significant radiation as those of Canterbury and Winchester.
Confirmation charter of William the Conqueror (patronus of the Normans and King of the English) to Fécamp Abbey of Steyning (Estaninges), West Sussex, which King Edward (the Confessor) made to the abbey. He also grants the manor of Bury to the abbey in compensation for the claim which they made against him for the property which they had in Hastings (Hastinges) in king Edward’s time.
In the Middle Ages, these crosses were placed on the dead, both in France and England, along with a funeral pot.
They have the shape of the Maltese cross and remember quite well the consecration crosses and crosses of cemeteries in 12th century.
After the Conquest, Sussex was divided into administrative areas known as ” rapes “. There were three in East Sussex – Hastings, Pevensey and Lewes. Count of Eu received the rape of Hastings, Count of Mortain that of Pevensey, while Guillaume de Varenne became Lord of Lewes.
Upon Edward the Confessor’s death in 1066, Harold is crowned King of England, and takes the throne which amounted to William the Conqueror.
When Harold refuses to give the kingdom back to him, William decides to raise an army and get across the Channel.
Objects on this board were all presented to the departmental Commission of Antiquities on 23 May 1871.
Preserved in the Museum of Antiquities, they were discovered in several places in Seine -Maritime and Eure between 1840 and 1871 ( Aubermesnil-les-Erables, Caudebec, Pîtres ) .
Normandy had laid down in writing a set of legal rules, called the Très ancien coutumier de Normandie in the late part of the 12th century. The second part of these rules would be put in writing after Normandy became part of France in the first half of the 13th century and was to remain in force until the Revolution.
A deed conveying property in Merstret in Rye from John and Alice Torel to Peter and Denise Hegsthone. There are two seals attached, both in green wax. The smaller is of John Torel and shows a ship with one mast.
Large Protestant communities became established in Upper Normandy, centred mainly on Rouen and Dieppe, following the Protestant Reformation. The Huguenots took control of Rouen in April 1562 shortly after the massacre of Vassy, which marked the start of the civil war, and indulged in large-scale destruction, including mutilation of the statues in the cathedral.