Plates made during the second period of operations of the Ledoux-Wood workshops, undated. Drawing in pen, pencil and wash by C. Ridey
It was in 1797 that the Englishman George Wood set up his business in Forges-les-Eaux.
He concentrated on the production of “fine earthenware”, made according to a technique developed in England in the 18th century, designed to look like porcelain. It was made using clay which turns white on firing, to which finely-ground flint was added, and the resulting paste was worked by potters. Items were shaped, put through a first firing, then decorated and glazed before going through a second firing. George Wood died in 1811, and the factory was taken over by one of his workers, Nicolas Marin Ledoux, who soon married Wood’s widow. The factory then employed around forty workers. Some years later, two of George Wood’s sons set up a pottery at Forges-les-Eaux.
See also the plates from the Musée municipal de la Faïence de Forges-les-Eaux, representing Mrs Wood and Ledoux-Wood manufactory.
33 x 25 cm
Archives départementales de Seine – Maritime
16 fi 51
Early modern Period
Maritime and Trade Links