Brighton Chain Pier

Historical Background
A view of Brighton, showing the Chain Pier. Engraving by T. A. Prior, mid 19th century.

The Brighton Chain Pier was opened on 25 November 1823. The pier was primarily intended as a landing stage for packet boats to Dieppe, until they transferred to the more sheltered Newhaven. It was different from typical piers because, rather than being built on stilts, the deck of the pier was suspended from chains attached to pillars. The pier was destroyed in a storm on 4 December 1896. Brighton Palace Pier (now known as ‘Brighton Pier’) was then under construction and was not opened to the public until May 1899.

  • Origin


  • Date details


  • Institution

East Sussex Record Office

  • Original reference

PDA / B5

  • Period

Late modern Period

  • Thematic

Tourism and culture



Pour réutiliser les images de l'exposition, merci de consulter la page Droits de réutilisation des images