Dieppe,The Newhaven steamer entering port
Postcards, around 1900
The « Newhaven » is a French turbine-and-propeller-driven liner.
Built at the Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée in Le Havre, taken intoservice in 1911 and modified to run on oil in 1932, it was 92 metres long with a top speed of 24 knots.
It was converted into a hospital ship a hospital ship in the First World War, and saw action in the Second World War in the evacuation of Dunkirk before being requisitioned by the Germaon forces. Too badly damaged to operate in the Channel again, it was sold in 1949 and later broken up.
The « Brighton », the fourth vessel to bear this name, was one off the first turbien-driven liners on the Dieppe-Newhaven route.
Built at the Dumbarton shipyard in Scotland, it had two propellers and ran at 6000 horsepower. It was launched in Scotland in 1903.
During the First World War, it was used as the marine headquarters of King George V and later also acted as a hospital ship.
It was sold in 1930 and converted into a yacht by its new owner, Sir Walter Guinness.
Archives départementales de Seine – Maritime
64 Fi 3829
Late Modern Period
Tourism and culture
Rouen – Archives Départementales